Education

S.D. College

Brief History

Sanatan Dharam College, Hoshiarpur was founded in 1973. Over a period of more than three decades, it has earned a degree of Public esteem that is unusual in these times of competitive consumerism. In continues to serve the community by providing relevant and wholesome education to young men and women, while adding new dimensions every day to its quest for excellence.

The men who laid the foundation of this college had a dream. This was to translate the values of Sanatan Dharma, the perennial religion of humanity, into the lived truth of modern conditions. The late Pandit Amrit Anand Ji, Bhrigu Shastri ( the founder Secretary of the college managing Committee), the late Mahant Sewa Dass Ji ( the founder President) and Sh. Chatar Bhushan Ji Joshi ( the president senior vice-president ) worked against heavy odds to establish and nurture an institution of higher education that would send into the world men and women of uncommon merit and mature humanity. Under the inspiring leadership of Smt. Sneh Amrit Anand, Bhrigu Shastri ( President) and Sh. G.D. Malhotra ( Secretary), the great dream today meets its fulfillment in the work of those who have been our students and now occupy responsible positions in diverse spheres. We are proud of our former students who are serving the community from their places in the academy and in law, in armed forces and administration, in engineering and in medicine, in politics and the arts, in industry and in trade, in public sector and private, Indian and multinational banks and financial institutions.

S.D. College is affiliated to the panjab University Chandigarh. For Senior Secondary Part II, the college provides education in Science in addition to commerce. For this class, it is affiliated to the Punjab School Education Board, S.A.S. Nagar, Mohali.

We impart education in 10+2 Commerce and Science, B.A., B.Com., B.C.A. and PGDCA Classes. The subjects being taught in our college are Commerce Subjects, English, Punjabi, Hindi, Economics, History, Political Science, Physical Education, Computer Science, Computer Applications, Fashion Designing, Web Designing and Multimedia ( Vocational Subjects), Environment Education, Political Science Honours for B.,A. and E-Commerce honours for B.Com.

Sports and variety of other activities that can promote the students total integral development complement the academic pursuits. We have total faculty strength of 37 ( 23 Permanent + 14 Temporary/Guest lecturers in the college and student's strength is 1046 ( Boys 646 + 400 Girls).

D.A.V. College, Hoshiarpur

(Premier Institution)

(Duly Accredited B++ by NAAC)

D.A.V. College, Hoshiarpur

D.A.V. College, Hoshiarpur a premier institution of the state which catered to the needs of not only Hoshiarpur, but also, Kangra, Hamirpur and Una Districts of Himachal Pradesh was established in 1926. This institution has fulfilled and cherished the dreams of selfless and dedicated missionaries like Principal L.Ram Dass, Mahatma Devi Chand, L. Milkhi Ram Sood and Chaudhary Balbir Singh by developing into an edifice enjoying enviable reputation among the leading institutions of Northern India.

Initially conceived of as an intermediate institution for boys, it was raised to a degree college in 1940. In response to persistent public demand, Post-graduate classes were added eight years later. A separate Girls' college was set up in 1950 to meet the long standing genuine need of parents who were not willing to send their daughters to co-educational institutions. This wing of the institution is housed in a separate building in the heart of the city. To facilitate the students, Girls' Hostel was built exactly opposite it across the road.

D.A.V. College, situated in very healthy surroundings on Hoshiarpur-Chandigarh road has a beautiful and spacious campus. The magnificent building consists of capacious classrooms, lecture-theaters, well-eduipped laboratories, well-stocked library, Gymnasium and extensive Play-grounds. A new double storeyed building containing Canteen and Students Center, Post-Graduate Block, A Botanical Garden, an extension counter of Indian Bank have also been added to it.

The college is running degree courses viz a viz Arts, Science (medical & non-medical), Commerce ( Hon. in E-commerce), and Computer Science and Post Graduate courses in the subjects of Punjabi, Political Science, M.Sc(IT) and PG Diploma in Computer Applications affiliated with Panjab University, Chandigarh The college is in the process of adding new vocational courses like PG Diploma in Fashion Technology, Nursing and Pharmacy etc. The college has experienced, dedicated and devoted faculty of more than 80 teachers.

The college has groomed and produced generations of able and outstanding students who have contributed a great deal in varied capacities, to the accomplishment of arduous task of national development. In the fields of academics, sports, extra-curricular activities the college remains vibrant all through the year. In the academic sphere, our students often top the graduate and post-graduate examination held by Panjab University. The college is proud to send a large number of its students every year to various medical, engineering and other prestigious professional colleges of India.

Two full-fledged sports events-Principal Real Ram Athletic Meet and S.Harcharan Singh Memorial Foot-ball tournament, which attract participants from all over Punjab, are organized every year. Our Foot-ball team won the Panjab University Championship in the year 2001-02.

In the fields of extra curricular activities, ours is usually the largest contingent in the Youth Festivals. Our College participates in almost all items of contest in Hoshiarpur Zone-A. In addition, various societies remain active during the session. The C.V. Raman Society and Physico-Chemical Society organize paper-reading contests, quiz contests declamations and debates, which provide ample opportunities to students to develop and express their potential talent in the field of science. The Punjabi Sahitya Sabha organizes poem-recitation, contests and folk songs contest in which students from all over Punjab and Chandigarh participate. Hindi Sahitya Sabha celebrates Hindi Divas by organizing Poetic Symposa involving poets of National fame and seminars etc. N.C.C. and N.S.S. departments remain quite lively and encouraging. Apart from their usual activities, these departments organize Blood Donation Camps and Tree Plantation Days in different areas of the districts.

The academic year 2001-02 was celebrated as Platinum-Jubilee year. The highlights of this year were-construction of Platinum Jubilee Post Graduate Block, Botanical Garden, a Painting exhibition displaying the works of Jaspal S., a nationally recognized artist, organization of a fete, hosting the Zonal Youth Festival, hosting the Principals' conference for Principals of colleges affiliated to Panjab University. All this has been possible due to the sincere, relentless and dedicated efforts of the learned and experienced faculty backed by the services of a trained administrative and accounts wing working under the guidance and control of efficient College Managing Committee ably led by Shri D.M. Sharma as its President and Sh. Rajinder Pal Mehta as its Secretary. This premier institution is presently being headed by dedicated and devoted Principal, Dr. Janmit Singh Our firm resolve and strong volition to make this institution an ideal seat of learning is our forte which keeps us ever on progressive track. We have an umpteen number of projects, which can not be deferred for long.

D.A.V. College, Dasuya

Swami Dayanand Saraswati, the founder of the Arya Samaj, Who unfolded the enduring values and concepts, stood up to defuse the great truth of knowledge and lofty ideals into the social, cultural, religious and educational texture of society.

He, thus, conceived the revolution which with the passage of time, culminated into the D.A.V. movement which has now bred more than 650 institutions serving the cause in education in and outside the country. Jagdish Chandra D.A.V. fraternity was, once, the auspicious dream of Arya Samaj, Dasuya. The college was established by the leading luminaries of Arya Samaj, Dasuya. The custodians in the field of education, the great benefactors and philanthropists, got their dream materialized in July 15, 1971 when Pt. Jagdish Chandra Sharma contributed his might and material for the establishment of this great seat of learning. After merging in the D.A.V. ocean in 1975, this seat of learning has been enunciating the gospel of Swami Dayanand and imparting in the youth the code of discipline and morality.

The dream for eradicating illiteracy in this backward Kandi area was realized with an initial donation of Rs. 60,000/- by late Pt. Jagdish Chandra Sharma who ever stood as ‘Danveer’ and has contributed Rs. 5,70,000/- till date. This college is still receiving his blessings in kind and cash every year. Sh. Bhupinder Ji Kashyap has been giving donations from Jagdish Chandra Sharma Dharamarth Trust every year. The growth of the institution became phenomenal when supplemented by the liberal donations from a large number of philanthropists around. The name of S. Lachman Singh of Village Saggran and late Bibi Iqbal Kaur of Village Kotli remain outstanding in the list for their contribution of Rs. 1,28,000/- and 1,00,000/- respectively. Indeed, such are the torch bearers who make a nation great and strong.

Managing Committee

Great, illustrious guides like Mahatma Hans Raj Ji, together with Pt. Mehar Chand, Shri Mehar Chand Mahajan, L. Suraj Bhan, Dr. G.L. Dutta, Prof. Ved Vyas, Sh. Darbari Lal, have steered forth the D.A.V. movement. At present Padam Shri G.P. Chopra, President, is heralding this largest, Non-Govt. educational network in Asia. An association with such names lends the institution aura capable of turning the dross, the base, and the ugly into the pure and sublime, darkness into light. Jagdish Chandra D.A.V. College, Dasuya is proud of being an integral link of such glorious heritage.

In addition, there is a Local Advisory Committee, comprising of citizens of competence to advise in the day to day affairs. It is drawn from the elite representing various walks of social life. Their ready willingness and zeal to devote time, money and energy for the upliftment of the college is worth mentioning.

General Information

Name of Principal : Sh.B.K.Sharma

Phone No: 01883-286600 (With Fax), 286700

Courses Being Conducted

  • 10+2 (Arts & Science)
  • BA/ BSc.(Med & Non-Med) / B.Com / BCA, BA / BSc (Comp.Sc)
  • MSc. (Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics & Information Technology)

Total Area of Land 80 Kanal 05 Marla.

Name of Blocks

  • P.G. Deptt of Information Technology
  • Ram Lubhaya Vassal Admn Block
  • Arts Block
  • S. Lachhman Singh Comm Block
  • Library Block
  • Smt. Yashoda Rani Mehta Science Block
  • Smt. Yashoda Rani Mehta P.G. Zoology Block
  • P.G. Deptt. Of Physics
  • Non Resident Students’centre.

Members of Faculty 66

No of Students 1043 + 181 (10+2) ; Total : 1224

Girls Hostel One (Sushila Vati Mahila Chhatravas)

No of Books in the Library 22550

No of Magazine Subscribed 28

College has been allotted two units of NSS and one coy of NCC fully equipped Computer Labs.

Government College Hoshiarpur Government College Hoshiarpur

A profile

Government College, Hoshiarpur, situated at the foot of the Shivalik Hills, caters to the educational needs of Hoshiarpur, Jalandhar and Gurdaspur districts of Punjab. It came into being in 1927 as an Intermediate College with Shri Bihari Lal Bhatia as Founder Principal. Before partition itself, in 1945 it was upgraded to a Degree College in view of the great demand as erstwhile Kangra district and present day Una districts of Himachal Pradesh were also among the areas covered by its academic facilities.

This premier educational institution of Punjab has a proud history and a glorious past as it served as the seat of Teaching Departments of the Panjab University from 1948 till 1960 when the University was shifted from Lahore. During that period it was known as University College, Hoshiarpur. Eminent Scholars like Dr. Vishwa Nath, Dr. K.K. Dewett, Principal S.S. Chawla headed the institution while academic giants like Dr. R.C. paul, Dr. Manmohan Singh ( Prime Minister of India), Dr. B.S. Minhas were on its faculty.

This nursery of talent in academics, sports and culture has always stood up to its 78 year old traditions and aims at contributing its best towards the education of the population of the sub-mountainous region, better known as Kandi Area of Punjab. At present having a faculty of 95 teachers, the college imparts instruction in 8 post-graduate and 9 Honours School courses. Besides this, it offers under-graduate Courses in Arts, Science, Commerce and Vocational subject of Functional English and Senior Secondary Courses in Medical, Non-Medical and Commerce streams.

Since its inception, this college has been providing access to higher education to a predominantly rural/agrarian population, equipping them with skills that have enabled countless alumni who hold/have held the highest positions and honours in every walk of life. The would run into scores. Poets like Sahir Hoshiarpuri, Prem Kuman Nazar have been students here while Dr. Jagtar and Suresh Seth have been teachers. Dr. Ashok Kundra, C.L.Bains, Sudha Pandey, Mr. Jerath, Sunil Arora, Ravi Chopra, J.P. Sharma, Sanjeev Arora, Tunin Kant Pandey, Rajeev Arora, Ambika parmar, shweta Nakra are some of the names who have done this institution proud as eminent civil servants.

The vision of the college can be summarized as follows:-

  1. To inculcate academic and intellectual skills.
  2. To help students to evolve as good citizens with integrated personalities by tapping their innate potential.

The college occupies a very prominent position among institutions of higher learning in the state of Punjab. The need for realistic self-appraisal arises in the globalized context in which all educational institutions have to complete with and establish linkages with each other. Only such a self-appraisal can lead to further growth by foregrounding major thrust areas for meeting standardized norms and development.

Industrial Training Institute

Industrial Training Institute Hoshiarpur Was Started in 1963 The Campus Area of Institute is 24.5 acres And Situated on Hoshiarpur-Jalandhar Road. All the Others Advantages of Spacious Play Grounds and beautifully laid out lawns.

The Present Seating Capacity of the Institute 616 and Training is imparted in twenty {20} Trades { engineering & none (engineering) and normally the period of training for non-engineering Trade is of one year where as in engineering Trades period of training is-from One year to Two years. At present most popularly known trades are:

  1. Electrical
  2. Ref. & Air condition. Mech
  3. Draughtsman (Civil)
  4. Motor Mech.
  5. Fitter
  6. Turner
  7. Mechinist (composite)
  8. Grinder.
  9. Instrument mech.
  10. Information technology and Electronic system maintenance.
  11. Driver-cum-mech.(Light & heavy motor[v]
  12. Diesel mech.
  13. Tractor mech
  14. Plumber
  15. Welder
  16. Carpenter
  17. Lacquer turning
  18. Ivory Inlay
  19. Forger & Heat treater
  20. English stenography

A centre of excellence of auto group has been set up in I.T.I. Hoshiarpur. The admission in most of the trades is made on the basis of marks secured by the candidates in their academic qualifications. Weightage is given for higher education. In this institute

Industrial Training Institute

Apprenticeship Training

Scheme was also introduced in which ITI passed out trainees are trained in various industries of Hoshiarpur According to the number of seats located in the industries. The center for training and employment of Punjab Youth Scheme(C-Pyte) is running at ITI Hoshiarpur.

The Hoshiarpur is semi-hilly city of Punjab and is known for agriculture implements. This city has been playing a vital role in the industrial development and economic growth of our country Hoshiarpur has major industrial units such as

  1. M/S J.C.T. Vardhman filament.
  2. Mahavir Spinning Mill.
  3. Paper Mill Mukerian.
  4. Oswal Sugar Mill Mukerian.
  5. Amrit Paper Mill Sailla Khurad.
  6. Sonalika International Tractors Hoshiarpur.
  7. Appolo fiber Chohal
  8. G N A Mehatiana

All courses are running in Industrial Training Institute, Hoshiarur under the craftsman Training Scheme of Govt. of India and Punjab Govt. Certificates are issued by National Council for Vocational Training (Min. Of Labour Govt. Of India)

Building: Industrial Training Institute, Hoshiarpur has a beautiful building including-Administration Block, sufficient numbers of Theory Rooms, Two standard size workshops. It has also a double-storeyed hostel consisting of numbers 68 rooms which can accommodate 250-trainees. Besides this the institute has spacious play grounds and lawns and also well equipped one Library in Industrial Training Institute, Hoshiarur with Technical and general books for the knowledge of trainees and staff. The Institution has a facility of regional News papers and magazines for up to date knowledge of latest technique and happening in the world.

This Institute has well dedicated and qualified staff members who are pivot of popularity of the Institute of the with the passage of time. Technical Vocational Education in country has assumed a new dimension and our staff team guides the trainees, who excel in Technical field, sports and other extra curricular activities as one N.C.C. Unit is running is Industrial Training Institute, Hoshiarur, under the 12 PB. B.N.N.C.C. Hoshiarpur. 105 N.C.C. cadets enrolled in this year 2004-05

The sports and cultural activities: competitions are held in every year by the Director, Technical Education and I.T. Punjab of the all I.T.I's trainees. Some trainees of this institute stood 2nd in Footbal events, 3rd in Kabaddi, Ist. in choreography and Ist. in Bhangra in the Punjab State Level competion. The overall Trophy in sports & cultural activities of Punjab State Level Competition has been received by this Institute. The work of physical Education is being under taken by the Hostel-Supdtt. Cum-P.T.I. Sh. Rachhpal Singh who is striving hard to enable our trainees to out shine in various sports events so trainees have won a number of prizes in various events.

Placement:This Institution is presently being headed by dedicated and devoted Principal S.Kuldeep Singh Azad striving hard for the placement of passed out candidates of various courses run by this Institution which keeps us ever on progressive track. Passed out candidates are sponsored to various industries located in & near Hoshiarpur for jobs. Campus interviews are also conducted by various reputed Industries for placement.

Government Industrial Training Institute, Talwara Government Industrial Training Institute, Talwara

Govt of India introduced craftsman Training Scheme in 1950 to ensure steady flow of skilled workers in different trades for the domestic industry. The administration of I.T.I's under the craftsman training scheme was transferred to the State Govt./U.T. w.e.f. the year 1956.

I.T.I. Talwara was established in 1963 to cater mainly the demands of Pong/Beas Dam. This is a big institute situated in the Kandi region in the foot of shivalik hills in Sec-4 of Talwara. This institute not only fulfilled the skilled & technicians demands of the Dam for employment but also provided the neighbouring industries such as Sonalika International Tractors Pvt. (LTD.) Hsp., Punjab Tractors Mohali, Kirloskar Ldh., P.W.D.B&R. etc, and other Govt. & Private department with the same skill. At present there are 15 sanctioned trades are in the institute, out of which some of them have more than one units comprising of 25 units in total which has a total sanctioned strength of 368 trainees (Annexure-1 attached ).

This institute is a co-educational but the girl students preferably take admission in cutting & tailoring, embroidery & needlework, Punjabi steno and draughtsman civil. Under craftsman training Scheme, Military persons immediately before their retirement are trained in various trades under pre-cum-post release training program, on the recommendation of the defence department so as to enable them start their own Industrial units/ventures to lead a dignified retired life.

The apprenticeship-training scheme was introduced in the I.T.Is. with the sole objective of full utilization of facilities available in the Industry to meet the fast growing demands of skilled workers in industry with the enactment of Apprentices Act, 1961. In the implementation of this scheme, this Institute sponsors the applicant/I.T.Is passed out trainees to the Principal I.T.I Hoshiarpur and other Principals of different related I.T.Is, for their adjustment as per the seats located by the assistant apprenticeship adviser of that Institute, as there is no Industry/major workshop in Talwara and its adjoining area.

The program of Memorandum of understanding (M.O.U.) signing with the local/nearby Industry/Factories/Workshops has been introduced by the department in the year 1996 in order to impart practical training/on shop floor training to the trainees of the institute.

Placement and Campus interview cell came into being during the year 1975-76. The main functions of the cell are to survey factories for local vacancies and get the passed out trainees employed with public & private sectors.

33.33% of the trainees are awarded stipend on poverty-cum-merit basis under craftsman training scheme @ Rs. 25 P.M and a further stipend of Rs. 50 P.M. by the Distt. Planning Board whereas S.C./S.T. trainees are awarded stipend under welfare scheme @ Rs 45 P.M. and a further stipend of Rs.50 P.M. by the Distt. Planning Board. 4% of the trainees are awarded merit scholarship @ Rs. 50 P.M.

This institute is surrounded by a pollution free environment and is situated nearby Mukerian-Talwara road. In front of the institute 52 acre Greenland project has been developed by B.B.M.B including rock garden project under the guidance of Shri. Nek Chand.

This institute has beautiful and specious campus with ventilated and well oriented workshop which is fully equipped with modern heavy and light machinery as per the necessity of concerned trades. In order to maintain the physical fitness of the students there is a facility of playgrounds. For the development of students stress is laid on the sports. The students very well prove this by just not only taking part in departmentsl annual sports & cultural activities meet but also winning prizes at the Zone level. More feather were added to the cap when this year the athletes of I.T.I Talwara stood first at the Zone level competition. In addition to the above there is a double storey comprising of four blocks hostel campus with a total of 44 spacious rooms in which 344 students can be adjusted at a time. There are 77 no. Quarters have been placed at the disposal of the officer/officials to accommodate all the staff members in the institute.

The medical facility is also being provided to the staff as well as to all students in case of any mishapenning occurred during training. In order to develop and polish the hidden qualities of the students stress is laid on extracurricular activities such as debate, cultural activities etc. In order to spend the free time with leisure, the institute is provided with well furnished library with trade concerned technical & general books as per D.G.E.T. Newspaper and good literature is also available in the library.

It is pretend to mention that this institute has excellent faculty having vast experience. All the staff members in the establishment side are devoted to their work and all the clas IV staff perform their duty with honesty. Due to hard work and dedication of the staff members, this institute is popular with in Punjab as well as adjoining H.P. area. Experienced Principal Er Davinder Kumar Presently heads this institution. ( Staff list at Annexure-II attached)

To add to the beauty of the campus all through the year pleasant smelling flowers are made to grow in the lawn in every season. For he social cause this institute has its name at the forefront. Free blood grouping and Hb test was done by S.G.N. Society Talwara sponsored by State Bank of India in the institute. Thirty four students & staff members of this institute donated the blood during blood duration camp organized by P.G.I. Chandigarh in collaboration with B.B.M.B. Talwara. Last year more than 100 plants were ploanted in the institute.

Khalsa College Garhdiwala Khalsa College Garhdiwala

History

This College was established under the patronage of Late Dr. M.S. Randhawa I.C.S. by people of the area especially Late Sarvshri Mahant Sewa Dass, Kartar Singh Bains, Saildar Bakhshish Singh, Dasondha Singh, Babu Mehar Singh, Jathedar Thola Singh, Scout Master Harbans Singh, Gurnam Singh, Sher Mohamad Khan, Saroop Singh in the year 1966. Jathedar Gurcharan Singh Tohra Giani Jagdish Singh and Jathedar Pritam Singh Sharihin all member of then General House of SGPC Amritsar helped in arranging initial endowment funds by pledging the land of Gurudwara Shri Kiratpur Sahib.

Mahant Sewa Das Ji Bahadurpur wale, Gurnam Singh Machian, Ch. Priatam Singh guided the destiny of the college as Presidents of Governing Body from 1966 to 1996 when the management was handed over to the S.G.P.C. Amritsar which is Managing the affairs of the college since then. Sarvshri Bharpur Singh, Harnarinder Singh, C.S. Saif, B.S. Beri, Umrao Singh Lead the team of College staff as Principals from 1966 to 1981 and the undersigned (Rajinder Singh Pawan) has looking after the affairs of the College as Principal since 1983.

The college is presently preparing students for 10+2 Science (Medical & Non-Medical, Commerce) and B.A./B.Sc./B.com. It is teaching Hons. Classes in Punjabi & Pol.Sc. Principles And Practices of Insurance and Computer Application subjects are being taught under the Vocational Streams, " An Introduction To Computer Science"as Add On Course has also been started in the Computer Deptt. of the college in evening. The college imparts postgraduate education in M.A. Punjabi and Postgraduate Diploma In Computer Application.

The College has been quite successful in achieving the goal of imparting quality and Higher Education to the poor people of Kandi Area of Hoshiarpur. Thousands of our alumina has secured careers in The Deptts of Education as teachers, in Defence and Para-Military Forces and in Foreign Countries. They have brought Prosperity to this area by their hard work. The college is proud of Shri D.P.Lakha I.A.S. working as Commissioner Lucknow Division in U.P.

The college extends its extention activities for the development of the community by going to the village, educating village folk to start projects likes Bee-Keeping, Silk-Moth social forestry. Dairy farming and Horticulture etc. these activities are carried through N.S.S, N.C.C.& Youth Service Clubs and various subjects societies of the college.

The college had a beautiful building and vast Shri Guru Gobind Singh Stadium where students are trained in games like Kabaddi, Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Kho-Kho, Cricket and Atheltics. OUr students have won many a times Punjab University Inter College Championship in Kabaddi, Cricket, Basketball, Cross Country. Many students have represented P.U. Chd at All India University Tournaments.

The college also prepare the students in extra mural activities like Youth Leadership Training Camps, Gurmat Camps, Bhangra, Drama, Giddha, Creative Writing, Music, Fine Art etc ect and the college has organized P.U. Youth Festivals many a time and won many positions.

Sadhu Ashram

An Introduction

Located in the foot-hills of Shivalik range with a beautiful and charming vision of snowy Himalayas in the North, on the eastern outskirt of the town of Hoshiarpur on Hoshiarpur-Una Road, the Vishveshvaranand Vishva Bandhu Institute of Sanskrit and Indological Studies (VVBIS&IS) is a main centre of Sanskrit and Indological Studies run by the Panjab University.

Sadhu Ashram

A Brief History

The genesis of the Vishveshvaranand Institute goes back to 1903, when Swami Vishveshvaranand and Nityanand started an office at Shimla for preparing word indices to the four principal vedic Samhitas and a dictionary of the same texts. The former were issued in four volumes in 1908-10, and a considerable amount of basic material was collected for the latter during the year that followed. In 1924, the office was shifted to Lahore where it was put under the charge of Acharya Vishva Bandhu. Under him, the scope of the Institute was widened so as to including the study of the different branches of Indology. The Institute also set up a teaching wing with classes for M.A., Vidyavachaspati and Shastri in Sanskrit and Prabhakar in Hindi. The Panjab University, Lahore gave a grant of Rs. 1,000/- in 1936-37 and of the same amount in 1937-38 to the Institute, and after considering the opinion of the University, Professor of Sanskrit and the Hon’ble Mr. Manohar Lal, accorded recognition to the work done by the Institute in publishing ‘A vedic Word Concordance’ and ‘A complete Etymological Dictionary of the Vedic Language’. The Hon’ble Mr. Manohar Lal expressed the opinion that this monumetal work conceived in a spirit of rigorous and exact scholarship embodied the scholarship of this province in noteworthy form. The then Vice-Chancellor considered it a distinguished bit of work of which the Panjab could be justly proud.

After the partition , the Institute was uprooted from Lahore and, after much suffering and loss, was restarted in its present premises at Sadhu Ashram, Hoshiarpur (Punjab).

In 1957, at the instance of the Institute, the Panjab University opened its Department of Devanagari Transcription of South Indian Manuscripts at the Sadhu Ashram. In 1950, the Panjab University extended affiliation to the Institute for starting various courses of study in Hindi and Sanskrit and the University Grants Commission began to give liberal financial aid to the Institute for this purpose. The same year, the Institute extended its academic activity to Chandigarh by setting up a Research Centre there, under the guidance of the veteran linguist, Dr. Siddheshwar Varma.

In the beginning of 1965, the Punjab University made a proposal that the Institute, while continuing to function from Hoshiarpur and maintaining its entity, should itself with the University. This proposal was accepted by the Institute on April 25, 1965 and approved finally by the University on June 30, 1965.

Accordingly, on July 1, 1965, a part of the Institute was taken over by the University under the new name ‘Vishveshvaranand Institute of Sanskrit and Indological Studies’ (VISIS). It included the teaching of Sanskrit the main research activities in Sanskrit, the entire Library and a part of publication activity of the Institute. The Punjab University Department of Devanagari Transaction of South Indian Manuscripts was merged in the Manuscript and Text-Editing Department of VISIS.

The Vishveshvaranand Institute of Sanskrit and Indological Studies has faculty members on its staff and its function has been spread over to a number of sections namely- Research, Manuscripts and text-Editing, General Indology, Teaching, Library and Administration.

Research Projects

The Institute has made a great contribution towards the advancement of research in Sanskrit and Indological Studies. At present, about 12 research projects, including its main project- A Dictionary of Vedic Interpretation, are under pursuance of the Institute.

Dictionary of Vedic Interpretation

This project is envisaged as monumental research project based on the Vedic Work Concordance published by the Institute in 16 volumes. The first volume of the dictionary is completed. The vocables nearly 200 running upto word Agni are compiled and edited in the volume.

Critical Edition of Vedic Texts with Commentaries

Under this project about six texts have been critically edited with commentaries and published. They are Ksudra Kalpasutra with the commentary of Srinivasa ed. by Prof. B.R. Sharma, Bhasiksutra of Katyayana with the commentary of Mahasvamin and Annta Bhatta ed. by Prof. B.B. Chaubey, Asvalayana- Srautasutra with the commentary of Devatrata (in Three Parts) ed. by research section of the Institute, Asvalayana - Srautasutra with the commentary of Siddhantin by research section of the institute.

Project of Linguistic Studies of the Dialects of North-Western Himalayan Region

Dr. Siddheshwar Varma, a well known personality in the galaxy of linguistic investigated 27 North-Western Himalayan Dialects and prepared a glossary of these dialects. Dr. Siddheshwar Varma’s Pahari dictionary of 27-North Western Himalayan Dialects in two volumes (Four parts) have been edited by T.S. Bindra and Raghubir Singh.

G.A. Gerison’s Linguistic Survey of India- A Summary

This summary prepared by Dr. Siddheshwar Varma in three parts has been published by the Institute.

There is a long list of 49 research works in various fields of Indology published by this Institute. This includes the individual research projects undertaken by the faculty members like Prof. K.V. Sharma, Prof. B.B Chaubey, Prof. Virendra Sharma, Dr. Shyam Lal Sharma, Dr. Damodar Jha and others.

Manuscript Section

The Manuscripts are very important documentary source to know the ancient history, culture, art, etc. In the ancient period wisdom was passed on to others through the oral transmission. But this had a limited circulation because a knowledge-seeker had to come in contact personally. Also, with the depth of a wise person his knowledge had no further scope of being shared by others. Gradually it was felt that if the wisdom of the wise could be written down in the form of books, the scope for wide circulation of knowledge and also its durability would increase. Such works of wisdom will have their own mobility, in view of most of them being portable. Thus originated the conception of writing down of books.

Before the introduction of printing, books were handwritten and quite frequently many copy of such work made in order that they could reach pupil distant from the author. To start with books were written on palm leaf or birch bark or handmade paper or any other material that had some plain surface to facilitate writing on them. Last machine paper was used for writing of such books and for making their copies. Usually handmade ink was used and the stick of words, feathers or reeds converted into usable pens served the purpose of writing.

This Department has a collection of about 3000 manuscripts in different Indian languages and scripts pertaining to the different subject of indology i.e. Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, Astrology, Astronomy, Ayurveda etc., on the materials as palm-leaf, birch-bark, hand made paper and modern machine paper. We have conventional methods for the preservation of these invaluable manuscripts. The Department in the past edited and published several manuscripts but still there are so many old and important manuscripts are lying unedited. The latest being Asvalayana Srauta Sutra in three volumes. This is an important manuscript collection of North-West Zone of the country.

In our collection we have a photocopy of a manuscript entitled "Sancha" written in Pabuchi script. Perhaps which is not in any other collection at present. This script is yet to be deciphered by the scholars. The language used perhaps belongs to ‘Sirmour’ and ‘Jubal’ regions of Himachal Pradesh. The subject dealt therein are Yantra, Mantra, Jyotis.a (Ramala), /Sakun, Muhurta etc.

This collection has many illustrated manuscripts. The most important manuscripts are Asvaphalaprakasa and Sarvarogaharan.agun.agambhirata by Nakula. There are 147 pictures in these two manuscripts. In the first manuscript i.e. Asvaphalaprakasa, there are 47 pictures pertaining the different categories of horses viz. Uttamasva, Candraksi, Padmaks.a, Hayaraja etc., different varana of horses viz. Ks.atriya-Varana, Brahmana-Varana, Vasya-Varan.a, Sudra-Varan.a and Raksasa-Varan.a, different diseases of horses viz. Vatroga, Chatarogi, Udarsula, Vatdosa, Kampados.a etc. In Sarvarogaharan.agun.agambhirata, there are 97 pictures of horses. On the basis of colours different categories of horses are illustrated and explained. The importance of colours are also explained. The varnas of horses are also given such as Brahmina, Ksatriya, Vaisya, Sudra etc. The diseases of horses and their symptoms are also explained with pictures.

The others illustrated manuscripts in Descriptive Catalogue of manuscripts - 1975, are as such: Manuscript No. 1273, 1275, 1276, 1278, 1279, 1282, 1283, 1284, etc. In Descriptive catalogue of manuscripts - 1999, the illustrated manuscripts are as under: 1411, 1416, 1417, 1420, 1421, 1422, 1423, 1427, 1501 (2) etc.

In this collection there are so many old and important manuscripts. The oldest manuscript in this repository is "Citrasenapadmavaticaritra" (V.S. 1452), folios - 31, condition - good. Some of the other old manuscripts are as under:

  • Kumarpalprabandha (V.S. 1488), folios - 7, condition - good, Ist folio missing.
  • Prithavicandracatritra by Jayasagaramani(V.S. 1503), folios - 40, condition - good.
  • Manapata Ki Caupai (Jainagrantha) (V.S. 1550) folio - 25, condition - damaged.
  • Agad.adattaprabandha by Bhimakavi (Jainagrantha) (V.S. 1554), folios - 18, sides torn.
  • Draupadicaritracaupai by Vinayasamudra (Jainagrantha) (V.S. 1584), folio - 8, condition -damaged.
  • Davadanticaritra by Manikraja (Jainagrantha) (V.S. 1590), folio - 12, condition - good.
  • Acarangasutra (V.S. 1594), folio- 42, condition - damaged.
  1. This collection has a single bond manuscript no. 1505 having 6 manuscripts dealing with different subjects, such as:
  2. Bijaganitadhyaya (Sidhansiromani) by Bhaskaracarya, folio - 27,
  3. Goladhayaya Vasnabhasyasahita (Sidhansiromani) by Bhaskaracarya, folio - 57,
  4. Grahaganitadhyaya Vasnabhasyasahita (Sidhansiromani) by Bhaskaracarya, folio - 98,
  5. Sidhantatattvaviveka by Kamalakarabhatta, folio - 167,
  6. Kalipgita (Padmapurana) by Vyasa, folio - 10,
  7. Lilavati by Bhaskaracarya, folio - 20.

These all manuscripts are in good condition and a unique model of calligraphy. Although there are 279 folios yet there is no single, cutting or erasing in anywhere in these manuscripts. There are also different diagrams of Trigonometry and different charts of astrology.

In our collection there are many Sanskrit and Hindi manuscripts in Gurumukhi Script. Prominent among them is Ramacaritamanas by Tulsidasa. In this manuscripts there are 367 folios.

The Lal Chand Collection of Manuscripts which was previously lying in this institute has now been transferred to the D,A.V, College, Chandigarh. There are two catalogue of manuscripts published by this institute, they are as under:

  1. Descriptive Catalogue of Manuscripts by Prof. B.R. Sharma- 1975
  2. Descriptive Catalogue of Manuscripts by Prof. Damodar Jha - 1999

After the publication of second catalogue in the year of 1999 this Department has collected about 200 manuscripts. The staff members are busy in making the details of these manuscripts and are also involved to get more manuscripts to enrich the collection.

Manuscript Resource Centre

The National Mission for Manuscript, Department of Culture, Ministry of Tourism & Culture, Government of India, New Delhi has selected this Department as a Manuscript Resource Centre.

The MRC will be the local nodal agency of the Mission for Co-ordinating most of its activities. The function of the MRC is to provide support for survey, documentation and digitization of manuscript. This Manuscript Resource Centre will take up work pertaining to the areas of all districts in the state of Punjab, Chandigarh (UT) and Uttaranchal.

General Indology & research Journal

Under the General Indological Section, the Institute publishes a Research Journal, namely ‘Vishveshvaranand Indological Journal’. So far its XXXII volumes have been brought out and Vols. XXXIII-XXXIV are in the press and likely to be released shortly. Three special volumes devoted to Acharya Vishva Bandhu, Dr. Siddheshwar Varma, Prof. K.V. Sarma are noteworthy in this series.

Centre for Higher Learning & Ph.D. Degree Research

The Institute was recognised in 1950 as a centre of research leading to Ph.D. and D.Litt. degree of the Panjab University. Necessary guidance in this behalf is given in the Institute. Nearly 70 Research Students have been awarded Ph.D. degree and 30 at present are enrolled under the guidance of faculty members of the Institute.

In the Teaching Section of the Institute the students are enrolled in the courses of Prak-Shastri, Acharya and M.A. Courses. The students are provided stipends of Rs. 250/-, 300/-, 400/- and 75/- respectively. The students also enjoy the facilities of Students Association, Sports, Extra Curricular and other activities under the rules & regulations of the Panjab University.

Vishveshvaranand Library

In addition to the above sections, the Institute has its own Library which is the richest in the field of Sanskrit and Indology in the north India and has about one lac of books. Besides this, the Library received about 105 Research Periodicals from India and abroad. The Library is recoganised by the UNESCO.

Acharya Vishva Bandhu Memorial Lecture Series

To honour the contribution of the Founder-Director of the Institute (Acharya Dr. Vishva Bandhu), on his sad demise on 30.8.1973, the Institute was renamed as ‘Vishveshvaranand Vishva Bandhu Institute of Sanskrit and Indological Studies’ in his sacred memory and A vedic Lecture Series was instituted. Sixteen lectures have been delivered by the Scholars of National and International repute so far. Few names among the speakers are Prof. R. N. Dandekar (Pune), Prof. R.V. Joshi (Delhi), Dr. Adya Prasad Mishra (Allahabad), Prof. Badri Nath Shukla (Varanasi), Dr. S.A. Dange (Bombay), Dr. Fateh Singh (Delhi), Dr. K.P. Jog (Pune), Prof. B.R. Sharma (Mysore), Prof. Vidya Niwas Mishra (Varanasi), Dr. Satya Vrat (Delhi), Prof. V. Venkatachalam (Varanasi), Prof. Mandan Mishra (Delhi) and Prof. Ramaranjan Mukherjee (Calcutta).

Seminars and Conferences

The Institute also organised Seminars and Conferences on various Vedic and Sanskrit subjects from time to time. The silver jubilee of the Institute was celebrated in 1990.

The faculty includes five Professors, six Readers and a Lecturer. They are busy with their collaborative and individual research projects. They contribute research papers to the seminars, conferences and research periodicals. Occasionally a number of dignitaries and scholars from India and abroad visited in this Institute to consult the library and manuscripts.

Panjab University Information Centre

To meet the persistent demand of the area and to avoid inconvenience to the general public for going to Chandigarh to seek information from the University office, an "information centre" of the Panjab University is also being run, here in this Department since 1.4.1998. It provides requisite/relevant information to the enquiries by the public and their wards and the students of the University, besides sale of Forms for the various University Examinations, University Migration, Duplicate Certificates, Detailed marks Cards/ Certificated and Degrees, for different examinations etc. conducted by the Panjab University, Chandigarh.

Babbar Akali Memorial Khalsa College

Profile of the college

The people of Garhshankar and its neighborhood belong mainly to the low income group. The peasantry of hilly tract here has very small holdings and can ill afford to send its children to the cities for higher education. It was felt that, in this age of competition, the latter would have fewer chances of mental and moral development unless something was done to afford higher education to them within the area where they would live under the same roof with their heavily burdened parents. Hence Babar Akali Memorial Khalsa College was established in 1969 with a dula purpose viz. to celebrate the sacred Quin-centenary of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji as well as the upliftment of this backward area.

Keeping in view this mission of upliftment of the area both morally as well as educationally, Guru nanak Vidyak Council, Garhshankar was established S.Gurbachan Singh Marula was elected as the first President of the Vidyak Council. Zaildar Puran Singh was elected as the Sr. Vice-President. Dr. Sher Singh and Dr. Watan Singh were elected as the Junior Vice-Presidents of the Vidyak Council. S. H.S. Sadhowal became sectetary and S.Joga Singh Sahota, the manager. On 19-02-69 the foundation stone of the college was laid down by Sant Baba Fateh Singh. Many distinguished personalities of the area, Mrs. Harnam Kaur, Dr. Gurcharan Singh, Subedar Mehar Singh, S.Ujagar Singh, S. Sohan Singh, S. Iqbal Singh, S. Piara Singh and many more donated land and money and worked courageously overcoming all the hurdles in the way to establish a distinguished institution in the area.

Babbar Akali Memorial Khalsa College

Location

The college is situated on the outskirts of Garhshankar Town on the Anandpur Sahib Road. It is housed in a spacious and maginificent building, which is spread over an area of 6.6 acres. The surroundings of the college are truly hygienic and healthy, against the background of the Shivalik Range bearing a romantic touch.

The college is a co-educational institution affiliated to the Panjab University, Chandigarh. The institution provides the latest amenities of education. The college has 19 classrooms, 5 laboratories and a library-cum-hall. The library has more than 12000 volumes of books and a regular subscription to a number of journals and periodicals. The college campus has well maintained grounds, and N.C.C. guidance centre and a beautiful building of Gurdwara Sahib.

B.A.M. Khalsa College was established in 1969 offering graduation in only one discipline i.e. humanities. Nowadays it offers graduation in four disciplines. The college has been adding new disciplines according to the growing needs of time. Some new subjects have also been added such as Physical Education, Religious Studies (Divinity) etc. The main objective of the education imparted to students is to make them good citizens of the country as well as economically independent. The college students have always shown good results in entrance examinations.

Freedom Struggle of India and Babbar Akali Memorial Khalsa College

Babbar Akali Memorial Khalsa College has established to keep alive the sacred memory of the dauntless heroes of Babbar Akali Movement, who made untold sacrifices for the liberation of Mother India. Histroy bears evidence that this movement was a part and parcel of the mutiphased Indian War of Independence against the British Yoke.

Religious studies in The College

The unit of the Guru Gobind Singh Study Cirlce of the college plays an important role in our institution. Lectures in personality development, morality, ethics and de-addiction are held the beginning of the session. In addition to that, three camps are organized every year. Youth Leadership Camp helps students in developing their aptitude/talent to serve the society as good citizens.

Achievement in sports

  • Our college has produced many star sportsmen namely, S. Bagicha Singh Asian Champion and Arjuna Awardee in Athletics.
  • S. Charanjit Singh represented India in Seoul Asian Games and was awarded Maharaja Ranjit Singh Award in Football.
  • S. Baljit Singh two times strongman of the All India Inter-Varsity in Power Lifting, four times All India Champion and record holder and also captained the P.U. Power Lifting team
  • S. Tarsem Singh was gold medalist in the All India Inter-varsity competition in power lifting.
  • College Football team has won PU "B" championship sixteen times.
  • College Power Lifting team has won P.U. Power Lifting Championship three times and bagged runners-up trophy five times.
  • College Weight Lifting team won the P.U. Weight Lifting Championship once and were the runners-up four times.
  • Sukhdev singh Captained the P.U. Power Lifting team and was second in the All India Inter-university competition.

Principal and staff

The success of any institution depends to a large extent on the caliber of its head. The founder principal of the college was S.Kartar Singh. His administrative capabilities and teaching caliber made the college stand among the best in Punjab. S. Lachman Singh and S. Jaswant Singh Sandhu were later principals who kept the college flag high with their unique qualities. Presently, Dr. Preet Mohinder Pal Singh is serving the college with all his devotion and courage. He is a Ph.D. in Economics and is applying all his abilities in the formation of a unique educational institution.

It is actually the teacher who is the pillar of any educational institution. Many teachers served in this college. One of them Sh. B.S. Sudan got selected in the PCS and later on became IAS. The avowed aim of the teachers of this institution has always been to provide quality education to their students.

College Building and its Development

The institution has a magnificient building which is fully serving the needs. It is developing gradually since its establishment. A few new blocks and rooms have been added with the needs of times.

  1. Library Hall –1990-91
  2. Commerce Block -1995-96
  3. Science Block -1996-97
  4. Canteen - 2001-02
  5. Mini Gym -2003-04